• Roundabout

List of help and advice available - from Sam

Updated: May 26, 2020

If you need help because you have your child / young person at home are now finding it difficult to manage, then please remember you can speak to the school, setting, social worker or the Local Authority to ask for what help might now be available.

If you need help and support (e.g. essential shopping, prescriptions collected, or a friendly phone call):  you can contact your District Council. Many also have links to very local groups operating where you live. Your Town or parish council can also help you find what you need. Cambridge City Council:  https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ If you have had a letter from the NHS indicating that you should be shielding: you still need to register on:

NHS website (https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable).  

If you are worried about being made homeless: then you need to know that the Government have asked landlords, mortgage companies and banks to give people a three month ‘payment holiday’ and they have banned evictions – you can find out more on the Government’s website:


You can also call / email your District Council for help and advice:

Cambridge City Council:  https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ If you are in a housing association property, then talk to them about what help they can provide.

If you are concerned about anyone who you think needs help but won't ask: then do make contact with your District Council, who can check on their safety and well-being

Cambridge City Council:  https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/

If you or someone you know is at risk of domestic abuse: then you can call:

Refuge 07787 255821, or the National Domestic Abuse Helpline 0802 000 247, or Men’s Advice 0808 801 0327 or LGBT Helpline 0800 999 5428.  If it’s an emergency, then call 999.  You can find more information on www.cambsdasv.org.uk

If you are worried for the well-being or safety of someone then you need to let someone know so they can help – it’s the same number for both Local Authorities

The Safeguarding Team:  0345 045 5203 (8-6pm Monday to Friday) or 01733 234 724

If you’ve been bereaved and need help and support then you can:  

Get practical advice here: https://www.gov.uk/browse/births-deaths-marriages/death and counselling support here: https://www.cruse.org.uk/get-help/coronavirus-dealing-bereavement-and-grief 0808 808 1677

If your mental health is suffering, then you should:

contact your GP.  If you are in crisis the 111, option 2 is available and Samaritan 116 123. Or for self-help try www.everymindmatters.co.uk  This resource has been set up by Public Health England as an acknowledgment that the situation we are in is stressful for us all.  

If you need personal financial support: you can find information on issues ranging from benefits to council tax from your District Council on their website.

Cambridge City Council:  https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/

If you are having problems affording enough food, the Food Bank might be able to help – you can find one near you:

Trussell Trust website: https://www.trusselltrust.org/get-help/find-a-foodbank/

If you are concerned about personal Debt, the following organisations can help, including negotiating with creditors on your behalf:

Citizens Advice at www.citizensadviceruralcambs.org.uk , StepChange Debt Charity at www.stepchange.org The National Debt Line at nationaldebtline.org.  

If you have a business or are self-employed and need help: Your District Council  has information about rates relief and local financial aid:

Cambridge City Council:  https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/

In addition, Money Saving Expert offers free independent advice and help. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/coronavirus-self-employed-and-employment-help/  

Turn2 Us also has details about other grants and help available:https://www.turn2us.org.uk/

The Business Debt Line can be reached via www.businessdebtline.org.


The Local Authority Cambridgeshire : https://www.cambslearntogether.co.uk/home-learning

Peterborough: https://fis.peterborough.gov.uk/kb5/peterborough/directory/localoffer.page?familychannel=8

The Department for Education: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-online-education-resources/coronavirus-covid-19-list-of-online-education-resources-for-home-education

BBC Bitesize: https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/bitesize-daily-schedules-teach/zdtwjhv

Pinpoint https://www.pinpoint-cambs.org.uk/stuck-at-home/

Family Voice: https://www.familyvoice.org/

  • Facebook

©2020 by Under Fives Roundabout. Proudly created with Wix.com